Monday, September 15, 2008

7-0

Another weekend down and another three wins to add to the wins column. 

Yesterday everyone on the team who lives in Cottbus got up at the crack of dawn to head up to Berlin for a six team tournament. The way we piled into a minivan and drove for a couple hours reminded me of AAU- especially the way my knees hurt at about the 3/4 mark of the journey. We arrived about 10 minutes before tip-off so we really had to scramble to be ready.

Our first game was certainly our easiest. The team didn't have too much size, they weren't great shooters, they took quick shots, and played a zone. Amherst has suppressed my conscience when it comes to attacking zones, lol. I took two in our first two possessions of the game just to send a message. I am just glad they went in, haha. That makes the message much more clear than two quick clankers.  The quarters were eight minutes long (they are usually 10) and Coach tried to save my legs some so I didn't play as much as I am used to. I am not exactly sure what my stats were from any of the games this weekend, but I think I had 22ish and 7ish. I am find that it's a lot harder to get rebounds as a small forward when coach keeps telling me to get back.

Our second game was tougher than our first, but we were better than them as well. They had a center who was pretty good, but other than that they didn't have anyone special. The details of that game are kind of a blur. Being a psych major has taught me that primacy (when stuff happens first) and recency ( when stuff happens last) dictate what gets remembered well when something significant hasn't happened. Anyway, I think I had 24ish and 7ish. 

Our third game was certainly our toughest opponent. Before we played, Coach said all the things that coaches tell their teams when they are getting ready to play someone who is at least as talented as them: Stay in the moment, think about what we want to do, don't let them do whatever they want, yaddayadda. This squad had size in the post (one guy's arms were literally as big as my legs) and versatility on the wings. All of that being said, we were up 11 at half time. Coach, in his infinite confidence, says that we are "still in the game". I wanted to slap him with a wet sock.  First of all, don't say "still" like there will come a time when we won't be. There was nothing to indicate that at all. Stupid. And secondly, there was no magic or miracle that's allowed us to be winning. That's what we were out there to do, wasn't it? There should be no surprises. We are good. Period. Own it. Anyways, we won by 20 something. They got Wash U-ed. I had 30ish and 7 ish I believe. 

Overall I'd give my self a B+/A- for this weekend. 

3 comments:

David said...

"I wanted to slap him with a wet sock." LOL.

mommaj said...

It sounds as though it was a pretty productive weekend, haha. You are a soldier, keep on marching...

Inhim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.