Sunday, November 16, 2008

Who knew I didn't have to see to shoot well?

The weekend before last, we travelled to Berlin (once again) to play a league game versus a below .500 opponent. We played them once in the preseason in a game that was far from exciting. This game didn't prove itself any different. I think we won by close to 30 points. I played alright, though I didn't get as many shot attempts as I would have liked. I think the "official" record has me down for 14 points, 10 rebounds, and 4 blocks. 

This past Friday, I woke up with my eyes the color of ketchup. I had to wear sunglasses inside because light felt like a hit with a sledgehammer. I called the VP of the basketball club and scheduled an appointment with the doctor. They gave me eye cream, yes cream, that burned and didn't work. I went in for another appointment Saturday morning before our game. The doctor strongly advised me against wearing contacts for a while, so I was resigned to playing blind. 

We travelled 3.5 hours to play the Ascherleben Tigers. The car ride was a special experience because the new medicine they gave me dilated my pupils. The combination of the pitched  blackness of the country night and bright headlights on the autobahn meant lots of squinting and looking away. Thankfully, the lights in the arena didn't bother me. 

We were up after every period, and up 11 with 2:30 to go but still managed to lose. Our starting point guard left the game because he was "dizzy", our back up point guard had 4 straight turnovers that resulted in break away lay-ups, and we missed 6 straight free throws including  the possible game winning ones.  Daggers. I probably played my best game since being over here but it was wasted in a losing effort. The stats aren't official yet, but my coach thinks I had somewhere between 25-32 points and 15 rebounds..

Oh yeah. Amherst plays their first game next week! Let's go Jeff's. Terras Irradient.

No comments: