Monday, October 27, 2008

Our first L

Three games into the season the White Devils of Cottbus picked up their first loss. We were up 10 at half time but ended up losing by about 11. We gave up 72 points, so the problem was definitely more of our offense. I am pretty sure we only had 5 guys out of the 12 who played score.  I played well, but 12 of the 18 points I had came in the first half.  For some reason we were far less disciplined in our offense and the only person to get quality scoring opportunities was our point guard. Hmm. 
Perhaps as frustrating as the loss itself was the way my coach handled the adversity. Every timeout was incessant yelling. Not once did he ask a question; every sentence he uttered was an imperative command in a self-righteous tone. I am quickly developing a deaf ear for 90% of the things he says to me during games. 
The pinnacle of his attitude problem for me was when we were down 9 with 40 seconds to go in the 4th quarter. I asked him if we should foul twice (in an effort to prolong the game and hope we make some shots). Both times he sat with his legs crossed, arms folded, and pouted. He didn't even use his words, all he did was shake his head. 
Next weekend is another game, so we can't dwell on this one. We will also get the chance to play them again... I'll have that day circled on my calendar.

No comments: